Even if you think that bats are adorable little creatures stay away from them and please don’t bring one home for a pet. It turns out that bats are the leading cause of acquired rabies. The CDC reported that 70% of the reported cases of rabies in the U.S. were attributed to bats. The other 30% were from other wild animals.
The problem with bat transmission of rabies is that the scratches and bites are hard to see and easily overlooked. In fact you may even be bitten in your sleep and not know it. If there is even the slightest question seek medical attention immediately to discuss whether you should get the series of 4 injections to prevent rabies.