These days, everyone seems to know how to write a book; however most of the people end up with a non-saleable manuscript which does them no good. Perhaps they commit some mistakes that cost them dearly, and make their efforts go in vain. Nevertheless, if you are one of the budding writers, it is important for you to familiarize yourself with these mistakes, and avoid them, if possible. Some of the common mistakes have been explained below for your reference:
- Choosing an inappropriate subject – First things first; do not choose a subject that you are not comfortable with. Rather, analyze your area of interest, and choose a subject accordingly. This would help you in coming up with some relevant content, and you won’t just beat around the bush.
- Identifying the wrong audience – You must know who you are writing for; your target audience can include sports enthusiasts, artists, chefs, children, and people from all walks of life. As a matter of fact, almost all the guides and books that teach people how to start a book emphasize on identifying the right audience; identifying the wrong audience would bring you back to square one.
- Ignoring the 4 C’s – A book that is not in tandem with the four C’s (clarity, conciseness, completeness, and credibility) of writing is not likely to strike a chord with the audience. In other words, you must pay heed to these 4 C’s, and write accordingly.
- Overlooking the writing techniques – There are a lot of techniques (read: free writing et al) do can do wonders for you, especially if you do not know how to start a book; do not overlook these. These can help you in getting well-versed with the nuances of writing, and overcoming your apprehensions.
- Creating uninteresting characters – Character creation can make or break the fate of any fiction book. Focus on it, and create interesting characters; the uninteresting ones can cost you dearly. If you want to learn how to write book, it is advisable to learn the art of character creation as well; it will help you in attracting the audience, and increasing the popularity of your book.
- Underestimating the importance of editing – With the globalization of internet, people are no longer naïve. They can easily separate the good from the bad, and identify an unedited book. Do not come up with an unedited manuscript unless you are willing to experiment, and can face the music.